Monday, October 5, 2009

Briget Jones - I am not!

(All recipes were taken out of The Margaret Fulton Cookbook e.2004)

Yesterday whilst making the stock (Beef Stock - pg 16) I had a bit of a Briget Jones moment. Do you remember in the film, when she was making soup for her friends and she needed to tie up the bouquet garni with some string and all she found was some blue nylon string? The result was that her guests sat down to bright blue soup as the colour leached out of the string. Hilarious in the movie, not so much when I was hunting around for the string I knew I bought for this very purpose!

Finding the string ended up being the hardest part about making the stock. I really enjoyed putting it all together and I liked knowing that there was nothing in that stock that was bad for me. No additives, no preservatives, just meat bones, herbs, and vegetables. I don't know why I haven't done it before. Oh wait, yes I do, work and 2 small children LOL. But now that I know that it isn't hard I will be doing it again for future recipes.

(insert photo's when I find the card reader - Grrrr)

So on to today. Knowing that the Pot Roast (pg 96) would take just over 2 hours to cook I started putting this together around 10.00am The first thing I did was cut off the fat layer that covered 3/4 of the cut of meat. This was my only error for this dish. As I found out later the meat needed this fat to keep the moisture level in. As there is no other oil or water added the lack of fat did dry the meat out a little. It was still insanely delicious, and the sauce that was created by the basting of onions, carrots, tomato and herbs went a long way to keep the meat succulent, I could just see that it needed a bit more. This recipe was so easy and all the vegetable were cooked in the same pot (adding in at the half way mark) so very few dishes and everything could be cleaned up in the kitchen whilst it was cooking - very time efficient!

(insert photo)

The French Onion Soup (pg 24) was a little more time consuming, but for me was the best result. It was delicious. Ok - so I had to take 30 minutes to caramelise the onions and not let them brown but I had a glass of wine in hand and a bottle close by so it wasn't too hard :) The colour was a beautiful glossy light brown - thanks to my stock - and the onions were firm but sweet. It was topped by crusty toasted baguette slices which had Gruyere cheese grilled on it. A decadent but completely necessary finish LOL.

(insert photo)

All in all I think the kick off for my project was a success. I had fun, and the food was edible, and I got to share it with people I love. I don't think it could get much better than that. But I was thinking about taste and what it means for a dish to be considered 'good'. As I was sampling the food before it was served I realised that I didn't have a point of reference to know if my food was right. I don't know what French Onion soup is supposed to taste like.

I pondered this for a while and made the decision that a yard stick for me is not whether I produce the 'perfect' representation of a recipe, or a 'culinary experience' that can be rated by a food critic, my yard stick will be whether the people who share my meal with me can eat it and say "that was delicous" and go back for seconds!!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

what a brilliant idea for a blog! i was wondering about the MF book covers on your Flickr :) always wanted to make stock, sounds like it's well worth the effort!

Me said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post !!!!! And you are right - the best yeard stick is did everyone enjoy the food I made. I have got incredibly lazy over the past couple of years - blaming it on my studies, two jobs, getting the business up and running but you are starting to spark my enthusiasm and I am considering getting my old cook book out and trying out something different - maybe on the weekend when I have the time.
Have a fantastic day !

Argy said...

Bravo!

I'm looking forward to the Margaret Ev. cookbook ;)

Cat said...

deeeelicious!

K not Kay said...

Love this idea, and love the Bridget Jones reference.

I already want seconds, just from reading this! :)

 

blogger templates |