Friday, October 9, 2009

Birthday Dinners

So many of my favourite memories come from family meals that were prepared especially for someone's birthday. In my house, as a child, the rule was that the birthday person made the decision about what was to be served for dinner on the night of their birthday. We needed to let Mum know a week before so she could shop and prepare but whatever we wanted - we pretty much got. You would think when given an open slather the types of meals would be extravagent, or have a bent towards take out or 'junky' type foods.

Not me.

I always asked for the same thing. Every year. Beetroot, mashed potatoes, and meat balls. Fancy!! LOL. Ok - the beetroot had chopped up pieces of bacon through it but still - it was a vegetable.. And yet, I don't make it for myself. Even after I married, left home, moved across the Country, I still only had it when I visited my Mum and requested it. The 'feel good' memories of this dish are imprinted heavily and mixed in with the memory of my Mum. I don't think it would taste quite as nice if I made if for myself..

Anyhoo.

The tradition of choosing ones own dinner on birthday night is one I have continued for my little family and today is Mr M's 41st birthday. During the week I had fun reading out recipes and he had fun of choosing what he would like. The only change we made was that we would be having it tomorrow rather than tonight as a work lunch and drinks after work don't bode well for coming home in an acceptable state to enjoy a lovingly prepared home cook meal.. And the state he did come home in proved me right.. Again. LOL.

So tonight I made a batch of chicken stock and have put aside 2 cups to use tomorrow and put 6 cups in the freezer for future use. (This making stock caper is getting easier and the flavour of this one is definitely better than the last so I might even be getting better at it :) ) Then off to the shops to get the ingredients for a lovely Roast Chicken lunch with Vegetables, and I am even going to make my very first cake that doesn't come out of a packet! Orange with dark chocolate icing. Will post recipes and a review tomorrow and I will try to keep the chocolate off the keyboard!

Wish me luck. :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hey, how did it all turn out!??

 

blogger templates |